Wednesday 6 January 2016

Iceland 2.6: Snæfell at last

As I rounded the tip of the Snæfellsnes peninsula the clouds began to clear and I got my first real view of the Snæfell volcano, and what a view it was.  Capped with snow, the peak was still generating its own weather patterns which swirled and shifted as time passed.  Given the prevailing wind from the south-west, it soon became clear why Grundarfjörður - on the north coast - was destined to exist in a state of almost permanent cloud cover.









After drinking in the scenery for well over an hour, my rumbling stomach told me it was time for lunch.  I knew from our previous trip that there was a visitors' centre with an excellent café at Hellnar, the national park headquarters, so this is where I went.  Suitably fortified I spent a very happy couple of hours wandering around the headland, all the time having to pinch myself that the backdrop of Snæfell was actually real.






The final two pictures show the view to the south-east towards Borgarnes and - in the far distance - Reykjavík.  This was where I was heading, as my plan was to meet Harriet at 17:00 at a hotel in the centre of the city.  The drive, although long, was spectacular: sunny and crystal clear all the way back, with absolutely stunning views.  Much though I would have loved to stop and take pictures, I simply didn't have the time to do so.  A small price to pay for having seen Snæfell in all its glory, though.



No comments:

Post a Comment