Monday 13 June 2011

More HDR experiments from Canterbury

I've been playing with, and comparing, three different HDR conversion programs in an attempt to produce something palatable from Canterbury.  I'm impressed by Photomatix, but the user interface is a bit clunky.  The Nik "HDR Efex Pro" is much more refined, but more expensive (naturally).  If I'm lucky I'll have worked out how to use it before the evaluation licence runs out...

First a couple of images I'd already tried using the Photoshop HDR converter.


Neither look particularly natural, I know, but that's partly deliberate.  The rest of the images show the experimentation and learning I'm going through.  Hopefully the results are improving slightly, but I'm yet to be totally convinced.


These images were all produced using Nik HDR Efex Pro, and then modified slightly in Lightroom for straightening and/or cropping.  Not too bad, but still more experimentation is necessary, methinks...

2 comments:

  1. I really like the one looking down on the stained glass and arches, and the waterwheel at the top. I really ought to have a go at some HDR at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The waterwheel is actually a Tudor treadmill, left over from when the cathedral was built. It's a scheduled ancient monument inside a scheduled ancient monument, in fact.

    ReplyDelete