Wednesday 1 October 2014

Hebrides 25: Luskentyre Beach

Luskentyre Beach is an iconic location for photographers, and I knew I would only have one opportunity to visit the place.  As always while travelling, the weather controls what is (and isn't) possible; but - thankfully - apart from a small area in the dunes which were full of kite flyers - the beach itself was blissfully empty of people.

The dunes around the beach are littered with boulders of Lewisian Gneiss, which is found everywhere in Harris and Lewis.  The shot below gives a sense of what it's like, along with the kind of weather conditions I had at my disposal.  Not quite what I'd wanted for low-contrast, gentle images of the beach.  Oh well...


They're a bit repetitive, I'm afraid,  but here are some pictures of the beach.  Some are straight; some are multiple exposures; and the rest are deliberate camera movement.  I'm not sure which I prefer, although I rather like the multiple exposure "lighten" example, which has completely replaced the hillside behind with sand stripes.















Before anyone asks: yes, the sea really was that colour.  One of the benefits of the sun being out, I suppose.  I also took some straight shots of the area around the beach, including a few dwellings by the shore, the background landscape, and some of the items we found in the sand.












Finally, a few in monochrome to see how they work.




What a wonderful place to be able to walk one's dog...

No comments:

Post a Comment