Sunday 21 May 2017

Once Bittern...

The problem with bitterns is that you wait months for them to appear and then five turn up at once.  A bit like blog posts, in fact, but I've been snowed under with RPS and Cambridge Camera Club work since before Christmas and have only just come up for air.

The sun was shining today, so I decided to head to the RSPB reserve at Lakenheath Fen.  As mentioned earlier, bitterns were more plentiful than I've ever seen them there, and it was wonderful to hear their booming in the background.  I even managed to grab a picture of one flying, which was a real treat.



The coots were very busy feeding their young, and I spent a long time watching them while waiting for the next bittern to turn up.




There was also a family of great crested grebes.  The mother (too distant for an acceptable photograph) had a couple of youngsters on her back, and the father was out catching fish for his growing brood.


There were also quite a few reed buntings around (and, allegedly, a mash warbler, although I never saw it).  Also unphotographed were cuckoos (loads calling, but none to be seen) and hobbies (too distant).




No comments:

Post a Comment