Tuesday 3 December 2013

Bradford (part one)

It was with a certain amount of trepidation that I returned to my home town of Bradford with a bunch of friends from Cambridge Camera Club, ostensibly on a visit to the National Media Museum.



The photographic content of the museum is pretty minimal nowadays, so it wasn't long before we decided to go for a walk in order to sample the "delights" which the city has to offer.


So far so good.  The awful Provident Building Society tower block has now, thankfully, been demolished, along with the Police Headquarters.  In their place is a very large "water feature" in front of the Town Hall and the Law Courts.  I still think I prefer the wonderful Victorian buildings (such as the old Mechanics Institute) which I remember from my childhood, but that's probably just a sign of advancing years.




There was a new building adjacent to the Law Courts whose windows were actually quite attractive.  That was until we looked closer and noticed that everything was boarded up inside.


Some dodgy specimens of Homo photographicus I discovered on my travels.


Would you buy a used camera from these people?  Well I did from one of them, as a matter of fact, and didn't seem to come to too much harm!  The person behind Barry seems to have got his number, though...




Given its size, City Park is actually rather difficult to show in its entirety.  I attempted a panorama, but the dull and boring light simply made it look dull and boring.  A "little planet" seems to capture the place, though.


Look out for the next exciting installment when I reveal the answer to the age-old question:
  • What's the difference between Bradford and a large hole in the ground?  
Tune in soon to find out more...

No comments:

Post a Comment